On Feb. 8, Clark Atlanta University’s Department of Career and Professional Development hosted its Spring Career Fair with over 30 companies present in the Bishop Cornelius Henderson Student Center.
Representatives from businesses such as American Airlines, Cox Automotive, Public Broadcasting Atlanta and many more were available for students of all classifications to meet these professionals with their resumes and unique personalities.
While students were encouraged to wear business attire, there are many other tips the Career and Development Center presented to the student body for everyone’s benefit. Tips like:
- Find out who will be there – Do research and know about the companies there before you approach them.
- Dress For Success and Comfort – Dress professionally and light. Do not carry massive handbags.
- Do not be Shy and Prepare an Elevator Pitch – It is best to Speak concisely, slowly and with interest.
- Give your resume to all Recruiters– According to the Department of Career and Development, one of the biggest mistakes job seekers make is waiting until the end of the meeting to give out their resumes.
- Memorable Goodbyes – Make sure the person you are speaking with is aware of the interest in his or her company.
- Request a Business Card and Follow Up – Within 24-48 hours of the career fair, it was encouraged for students to send a thank you note to each person that you met with.
The Department of Career and Professional Development encourages the student body to take action and follow the recruiters instructions post-career fair.
Continue to check your student email and follow the Department of Career and Professional Development on Instagram @hire_a_panther to stay updated on the upcoming events.